Eligibility for Certification Program:
There are two essential requirements that must be in progress before an applicant can apply to the program. All requirements must be finished and meet the minimum grade requirements prior to the fall or spring start. Before full admission into the program, students must complete three (3) prerequisite courses which are listed below and have access to a qualified training laboratory. Prerequisites courses must be taken at a regionally accredited college or university with verification of grade point average of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale (C). All classes must be taken at the 100 level or higher.
- Chemistry (3 Credits)
- Biology (3 credits)
- Mathematics (3 credits)
- Access to a qualified training laboratory
- Certified HT or HTL (ASCP) to serve as your mentor
Information and Deadline:
The completed application packet must be submitted by May 1 for fall semester. The additional supplemental application material for the Certification Program must be submitted together and mailed/emailed directly to the Histotechnology Program. Applications received after May 1 will be reviewed on a space available basis and may have to complete a paper application with the IUPUI Office of Admissions.
Students who have not completed one of the above prerequisite courses by May 1 can be conditionally admitted. However, failure to submit a final college/university transcript or any other required materials to the IUPUI Office of Admissions or the Histotechnology Program by August 7th may cause a delay in the applicant's term of entry. All documents must be received by that date not simply submitted.
Application Process for Certification Program:
The application process is a two-step process for the Histotechnology Certification Program. Please make sure to follow the appropriate steps when submitting an application. Only the application packets that are postmarked or received by the application deadline and include all the required items will be forwarded to the program’s admissions committee.
All applicants must apply online through the IUPUI Office of Admissions. When completing the application, please choose Histotechnology (Certificate) as your planned major. To start the application, please go to the IUPUI Office of Admission website:
Office of Admission website: http://enroll.iupui.edu/admissions/apply/
*Even if your eventual intention is the AS degree, students who don’t hold the appropriate prior credential or have completed the IU School of Medicine Certificate in Histotechnology program already should first apply to that program.
The following supplemental forms must be mailed or emailed directly to the Histotechnology Program upon completing the online application. These forms must be submitted in one packet.
- Copy of Email confirmation from online application
- Personal Statement. Statement must include applicant’s interest and aspirations in Histotechnology and why the applicant should be considered for the program.
- Letter of recommendation from applicant’s histology laboratory supervisor.
- Letter of recommendation from a supervising pathologist of the laboratory where clinical education will occur.
- Prerequisite Course Verification Form
- Clinical Education Supervisor (CES) Information Form
- Clinical Facility Fact Sheet
- Instrumentation in the Student’s Training Laboratory Form
- Laboratory Media Resources Form
- Signed Student Responsibilities Form
- Signed Laboratory Responsibilities Form
- Clinical Affiliate Agreement Form, Fall 2017
- Clinical Affiliate Agreement Form, Spring 2018
- Verification of Employement
Mail or Email Supplemental Application Material to below:
635 Barnhill Drive MS A128
Indianapolis, IN 46202