Sunil S. Badve, MD, FRCPath
Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Professor, Department of Internal Medicine.
Director, Translational Genomics Core, IUSCC.
Director of Research Immunohistochemistry
IU Health Pathology Laboratory
350 West 11th Street, Room 4050
Indianapolis, IN 46202-4108
Telephone: (317) 491-6484
FAX: (317) 491-6419
The focus of my work, both directly and thorough collaborations, has been on the study of breast and more recently thymic cancer. Most of the work carried out in my lab has the goal of developing predictive and prognostic markers. With these goals, we have identified and patented the use of FOXA1 in the prognostication of breast and prostate cancer. This patent has been licensed to Clarient Inc. (a GE company). We have also identified a gene signature that predicts development of brain metastases in patients with HER2 positive breast cancer. Our group has developed extensive clinical database of thymomas and thymic cancers. More importantly, we were amongst the first to definitely establish that thymomas of all histological types can give rise to metastatic disease. More recently, we have been able to develop a gene signature in collaboration with Castle Biosciences (DecisionDx –thymoma) for prognostication of thymomas (http://www.prlog.org/11666713-castle-biosciences-licenses-thymoma-test-technology-availability-on-track-for-end-of-1q-2012.html).
I have served on the NCI Breast Steering Committee, Correlative Sciences committee of the Breast Cancer Intergroup and on the North American Breast Cancer Group. My lab also provides significant support to clinical trials conducted by the Eastern Co-operative Oncology Group (ECOG) and Hoosier Oncology Group (HOG). I serve on the breast committee of both these groups and act as the Pathology Co-Chair for a number of trials conducted including E4101 and PACCT-1/TAILORX in clinical trials. As one of the key investigators of the E-5195 clinical trial, we helped to develop the Oncotype DX assay for DCIS.
I am currently an associate editor for 2 Journals (Clinical Breast Cancer and BMC Cancer) and on the editorial boards of 6 Journals (Clinical Breast Cancer, Modern Pathology, Journal of Clinical Pathology, Analytical and Cellular Pathology, Journal of Cancer (Internet), Journal of Molecular Biomarkers & Diagnosis). I also serve on grant review panels for NCI, DOD, and Komen for the Cure™. I have had the pleasure to serve on scientific advisory boards (including ad hoc member) for a number of molecular diagnostic companies.
My lab is funded by grants from the DOD (Concept Award) and Komen Scholars Award.
- S.S. Badve, R. Saxena, U.L. Wagholikar, Uraemia--a rare presentation of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Indian J Cancer 27 (1990) 217-219.
- S.S. Badve, R. Saxena, U.L. Wagholikar, Intraductal hepatocellular carcinoma with normal liver--case report. Indian J Cancer 28 (1991) 165-167.
- S.S. Badve, R. Saxena, C.S. Soman, V.M. Kiri, S.R. Raghuvanshi, N.K. Patoria, Alpha-fetoprotein production by rhabdomyosarcoma of the urinary bladder. Indian J Cancer 29 (1992) 177-180.
- V. Tan, P. Wilkins, S. Badve, M. Coppen, S. Lucas, R. Hay, F. Schon, Histoplasmosis of the central nervous system. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 55 (1992) 619-622.
- S. Badve, G. Evans, S. Mady, M. Coppen, J. Sloane, A case of Warthin's tumour with coexistent Hodgkin's disease. Histopathology 22 (1993) 280-281.
- A. Beham, S. Badve, S. Suster, C.D. Fletcher, Solitary myofibroma in adults: clinicopathological analysis of a series. Histopathology 22 (1993) 335-341.
- J.W. Chow, S. Badve, T.J. Chambers, Bone formation is not coupled to bone resorption in a site-specific manner in adult rats. Anat Rec 236 (1993) 366-372.
- J.W. Chow, S. Badve, T.J. Chambers, A comparison of microanatomic basis for coupling between bone formation and bone resorption in man and the rat. Bone 14 (1993) 355-360.
- H.J. Andreyev, P. Scott-Mackie, D. Cunningham, V. Nicolson, A.R. Norman, S.S. Badve, A. Iveson, M.C. Nicolson, Phase II study of continuous infusion fluorouracil and interferon alfa-2b in the palliation of malignant neuroendocrine tumors. J Clin Oncol 13 (1995) 1486-1492.
- S. Badve, J.P. Sloane, Pseudoangiomatous hyperplasia of male breast. Histopathology 26 (1995) 463-466.
- S. Khulusi, A.M. Hanby, J.M. Marrero, P. Patel, M.A. Mendall, S. Badve, R. Poulsom, G. Elia, N.A. Wright, T.C. Northfield, Expression of trefoil peptides pS2 and human spasmolytic polypeptide in gastric metaplasia at the margin of duodenal ulcers. Gut 37 (1995) 205-209.
- S. Khulusi, M.A. Mendall, S. Badve, P. Patel, C. Finlayson, T.C. Northfield, Effect of Helicobacter pylori eradication on gastric metaplasia of the duodenum. Gut 36 (1995) 193-197.
- S. Khulusi, M.A. Mendall, P. Patel, J. Levy, S. Badve, T.C. Northfield, Helicobacter pylori infection density and gastric inflammation in duodenal ulcer and non-ulcer subjects. Gut 37 (1995) 319-324.
- S. Khulusi, S. Badve, P. Patel, R. Lloyd, J.M. Marrero, C. Finlayson, M.A. Mendall, T.C. Northfield, Pathogenesis of gastric metaplasia of the human duodenum: role of Helicobacter pylori, gastric acid, and ulceration. Gastroenterology 110 (1996) 452-458.
- S. Badve, R.P. A'Hern, A.M. Ward, R.R. Millis, S.E. Pinder, I.O. Ellis, B.A. Gusterson, J.P. Sloane, Prediction of local recurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ of the breast using five histological classifications: a comparative study with long follow-up. Hum Pathol 29 (1998) 915-923.
- S. Badve, C. Fehmian, I. Cass, G.L. Goldberg, J.G. Jones, Malignant Brenner tumor mimicking a primary squamous cell carcinoma of the cervix. Gynecol Oncol 74 (1999) 487-490.
- T. Berggard, J.J. Enghild, S. Badve, C.M. Salafia, L. Logdberg, B. Akerstrom, Histologic distribution and biochemical properties of alpha 1-microglobulin in human placenta. Am J Reprod Immunol 41 (1999) 52-60.
- S. Badve, A. Blumstein, P. Wiernik, H. Ratech, Non-hodgkin malignant lymphoma with tissue neutrophilia: a report of 3 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med 124 (2000) 735-738.
- S. Badve, L. Logdberg, R. Sokhi, S.H. Sigal, N. Botros, S. Chae, K.M. Das, S. Gupta, An antigen reacting with das-1 monoclonal antibody is ontogenically regulated in diverse organs including liver and indicates sharing of developmental mechanisms among cell lineages. Pathobiology 68 (2000) 76-86.
- L.E. Logdberg, B. Akerstrom, S. Badve, Tissue distribution of the lipocalin alpha-1 microglobulin in the developing human fetus. J Histochem Cytochem 48 (2000) 1545-1552.
- N.D. Theise, S. Badve, R. Saxena, O. Henegariu, S. Sell, J.M. Crawford, D.S. Krause, Derivation of hepatocytes from bone marrow cells in mice after radiation-induced myeloablation. Hepatology 31 (2000) 235-240.
- S.A. Khan, S. Badve, Phyllodes tumors of the breast. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2 (2001) 139-147.
- R.N. Shah, V. Stosor, S. Badve, Pathologic quiz case. Colon biopsy in a patient with diarrhea--Possible etiologic agent. Arch Pathol Lab Med 125 (2001) 699-700.
- J.M. Weinberg, R. Ali, S. Badve, R.R. Pelker, Musculoskeletal histoplasmosis. A case report and review of the literature. J Bone Joint Surg Am 83-A (2001) 1718-1722.
- S. Badve, C. Deshpande, Z. Hua, L. Logdberg, Expression of invariant chain (CD 74) and major histocompatibility complex (MHC) class II antigens in the human fetus. J Histochem Cytochem 50 (2002) 473-482.
- C.G. Deshpande, S. Badve, N. Kidwai, R. Longnecker, Lack of expression of the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) gene products, EBERs, EBNA1, LMP1, and LMP2A, in breast cancer cells. Lab Invest 82 (2002) 1193-1199.
- C.G. Deshpande, R.N. Shah, A. Yeldandi, K. Papreddy, S. Badve, Expression of Das-1 in primary lung adenocarcinomas represents reactivation of an oncofetal pulmonary antigen. Pathobiology 70 (2002) 343-347.
- N. Kidwai, C. Deshpande, S. Badve, Re. article entitled "Expression of CD31 by cells of extensive ductal in situ and invasive carcinomas of the breast". J Pathol 196 (2002) 364; author reply 364-365.
- G.Y. Lin, X. Sun, S. Badve, Pathologic quiz case. Vaginal wall mass in a 47-year-old woman. Vaginal rhabdomyoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med 126 (2002) 1241-1242.
- R. Ramakrishnan, S.A. Khan, S. Badve, Morphological changes in breast tissue with menstrual cycle. Mod Pathol 15 (2002) 1348-1356.
- J.M. Schafer, D.J. Bentrem, H. Takei, C. Gajdos, S. Badve, V.C. Jordan, A mechanism of drug resistance to tamoxifen in breast cancer. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 83 (2002) 75-83.
- R.N. Shah, S. Badve, K. Papreddy, S. Schindler, W.B. Laskin, A.V. Yeldandi, Expression of cytokeratin 20 in mucinous bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. Hum Pathol 33 (2002) 915-920.
- X. Sun, Y. Gong, M.S. Rao, S. Badve, Loss of BRCA1 expression in sporadic male breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res Treat 71 (2002) 1-7.
- N.D. Theise, O. Henegariu, J. Grove, J. Jagirdar, P.N. Kao, J.M. Crawford, S. Badve, R. Saxena, D.S. Krause, Radiation pneumonitis in mice: a severe injury model for pneumocyte engraftment from bone marrow. Exp Hematol 30 (2002) 1333-1338.
- S. Badve, L. Logdberg, A. Lal, M.T. de Davila, M.A. Greco, S. Mitsudo, R. Saxena, Small cells in hepatoblastoma lack "oval" cell phenotype. Mod Pathol 16 (2003) 930-936.
- S. Badve, E. Wiley, N. Rodriguez, Assessment of utility of ductal lavage and ductoscopy in breast cancer-a retrospective analysis of mastectomy specimens. Mod Pathol 16 (2003) 206-209.
- A. Gupta, C.G. Deshpande, S. Badve, Role of E-cadherins in development of lymphatic tumor emboli. Cancer 97 (2003) 2341-2347.
- S. Kumar, H. Kishimoto, H.L. Chua, S. Badve, K.D. Miller, R.M. Bigsby, H. Nakshatri, Interleukin-1 alpha promotes tumor growth and cachexia in MCF-7 xenograft model of breast cancer. Am J Pathol 163 (2003) 2531-2541.
- M. Shaheen, K.A. Hilgarth, D. Hawes, S. Badve, A.C. Antony, A Mexican man with "too much blood". Lancet 362 (2003) 806.
- D.A. Tonetti, M. Morrow, N. Kidwai, A. Gupta, S. Badve, Elevated protein kinase C alpha expression may be predictive of tamoxifen treatment failure. Br J Cancer 88 (2003) 1400-1402.
- M.T. Walker, B.P. Liu, S.A. Salehi, S. Badve, H.H. Batjer, Superficial temporal artery pseudoaneurysm: diagnosis and preoperative planning with CT angiography. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 24 (2003) 147-150.
- E.L. Wiley, L.K. Diaz, S. Badve, M. Morrow, Effect of time interval on residual disease in breast cancer. Am J Surg Pathol 27 (2003) 194-198.
- N. Kidwai, Y. Gong, X. Sun, C.G. Deshpande, A.V. Yeldandi, M.S. Rao, S. Badve, Expression of androgen receptor and prostate-specific antigen in male breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res 6 (2004) R18-23.
- A.M. Schultz, A.B. Thomas, J.D. Henley, S. Badve, Pathologic quiz case: a 42-year-old man with right facial swelling and weakness. Dedifferentiated acinic cell carcinoma of the parotid gland. Arch Pathol Lab Med 128 (2004) e52-53.
- B. Agarwal, R. Saxena, A. Morimiya, S. Mehrotra, S. Badve, Lymphangiogenesis does not occur in breast cancer. Am J Surg Pathol 29 (2005) 1449-1455.
- R.L. Konger, S.D. Billings, A.B. Thompson, A. Morimiya, J.H. Ladenson, Y. Landt, A.P. Pentland, S. Badve, Immunolocalization of low-affinity prostaglandin E receptors, EP and EP, in adult human epidermis. J Invest Dermatol 124 (2005) 965-970.
- K.D. Miller, S.E. Soule, C. Calley, R.E. Emerson, G.D. Hutchins, K. Kopecky, S. Badve, A. Storniolo, R. Goulet, G.W. Sledge, Jr., Randomized phase II trial of the anti-angiogenic potential of doxorubicin and docetaxel; primary chemotherapy as Biomarker Discovery Laboratory. Breast Cancer Res Treat 89 (2005) 187-197.
- B.W. Sutherland, J. Kucab, J. Wu, C. Lee, M.C. Cheang, E. Yorida, D. Turbin, S. Dedhar, C. Nelson, M. Pollak, H. Leighton Grimes, K. Miller, S. Badve, D. Huntsman, C. Blake-Gilks, M. Chen, C.J. Pallen, S.E. Dunn, Akt phosphorylates the Y-box binding protein 1 at Ser102 located in the cold shock domain and affects the anchorage-independent growth of breast cancer cells. Oncogene 24 (2005) 4281-4292.
- C.J. Sweeney, S. Mehrotra, M.R. Sadaria, S. Kumar, N.H. Shortle, Y. Roman, C. Sheridan, R.A. Campbell, D.J. Murry, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, The sesquiterpene lactone parthenolide in combination with docetaxel reduces metastasis and improves survival in a xenograft model of breast cancer. Mol Cancer Ther 4 (2005) 1004-1012.
- W. Wollmann, M.L. Goodman, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, H. Kishimoto, R.J. Goulet, Jr., S. Mehrotra, A. Morimiya, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, The macrophage inhibitory cytokine integrates AKT/PKB and MAP kinase signaling pathways in breast cancer cells. Carcinogenesis 26 (2005) 900-907.
- A.E. Hochreiter, H. Xiao, E.M. Goldblatt, S.M. Gryaznov, K.D. Miller, S. Badve, G.W. Sledge, B.S. Herbert, Telomerase template antagonist GRN163L disrupts telomere maintenance, tumor growth, and metastasis of breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12 (2006) 3184-3192.
- L.H. Malkas, B.S. Herbert, W. Abdel-Aziz, L.E. Dobrolecki, Y. Liu, B. Agarwal, D. Hoelz, S. Badve, L. Schnaper, R.J. Arnold, Y. Mechref, M.V. Novotny, P. Loehrer, R.J. Goulet, R.J. Hickey, A cancer-associated PCNA expressed in breast cancer has implications as a potential biomarker. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103 (2006) 19472-19477.
- S. Mehrotra, A. Morimiya, B. Agarwal, R. Konger, S. Badve, Microsomal prostaglandin E2 synthase-1 in breast cancer: a potential target for therapy. J Pathol 208 (2006) 356-363.
- K.D. Miller, M. Miller, S. Mehrotra, B. Agarwal, B.H. Mock, Q.H. Zheng, S. Badve, G.D. Hutchins, G.W. Sledge, Jr., A physiologic imaging pilot study of breast cancer treated with AZD2171. Clin Cancer Res 12 (2006) 281-288.
- F.P. O'Malley, S.K. Mohsin, S. Badve, S. Bose, L.C. Collins, M. Ennis, C.G. Kleer, S.E. Pinder, S.J. Schnitt, Interobserver reproducibility in the diagnosis of flat epithelial atypia of the breast. Mod Pathol 19 (2006) 172-179.
- B.P. Schneider, T.C. Skaar, G.W. Sledge, S. Badve, L. Li, D.A. Flockhart, Analysis of angiogenesis genes from paraffin-embedded breast tumor and lymph nodes. Breast Cancer Res Treat 96 (2006) 209-215.
- C. Sheridan, H. Kishimoto, R.K. Fuchs, S. Mehrotra, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, C.H. Turner, R. Goulet, Jr., S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, CD44+/CD24- breast cancer cells exhibit enhanced invasive properties: an early step necessary for metastasis. Breast Cancer Res 8 (2006) R59.
- A. Srirangam, R. Mitra, M. Wang, J.C. Gorski, S. Badve, L. Baldridge, J. Hamilton, H. Kishimoto, J. Hawes, L. Li, C.M. Orschell, E.F. Srour, J.S. Blum, D. Donner, G.W. Sledge, H. Nakshatri, D.A. Potter, Effects of HIV protease inhibitor ritonavir on Akt-regulated cell proliferation in breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12 (2006) 1883-1896.
- P.C. Abad, J. Lewis, I.S. Mian, D.W. Knowles, J. Sturgis, S. Badve, J. Xie, S.A. Lelievre, NuMA influences higher order chromatin organization in human mammary epithelium. Mol Biol Cell 18 (2007) 348-361.
- E. Antuofermo, M.A. Miller, S. Pirino, J. Xie, S. Badve, S.I. Mohammed (co-Senior Author), Spontaneous mammary intraepithelial lesions in dogs--a model of breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16 (2007) 2247-2256.
- S. Badve, D. Turbin, M.A. Thorat, A. Morimiya, T.O. Nielsen, C.M. Perou, S. Dunn, D.G. Huntsman, H. Nakshatri, FOXA1 expression in breast cancer--correlation with luminal subtype A and survival. Clin Cancer Res 13 (2007) 4415-4421.
- E.F. Bishop, S. Badve, A. Morimiya, R. Saxena, T.M. Ulbright, Apoptosis in spermatocytic and usual seminomas: a light microscopic and immunohistochemical study. Mod Pathol 20 (2007) 1036-1044.
- M.R. Choi, K.J. Stanton-Maxey, J.K. Stanley, C.S. Levin, R. Bardhan, D. Akin, S. Badve, J. Sturgis, J.P. Robinson, R. Bashir, N.J. Halas, S.E. Clare, A cellular Trojan Horse for delivery of therapeutic nanoparticles into tumors. Nano Lett 7 (2007) 3759-3765.
- H.L. Chua, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, S.E. Clare, A. Morimiya, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, NF-kappaB represses E-cadherin expression and enhances epithelial to mesenchymal transition of mammary epithelial cells: potential involvement of ZEB-1 and ZEB-2. Oncogene 26 (2007) 711-724.
- R.H. Engel, J.A. Brown, J.H. Von Roenn, R.M. O'Regan, R. Bergan, S. Badve, A. Rademaker, W.J. Gradishar, A phase II study of single agent bortezomib in patients with metastatic breast cancer: a single institution experience. Cancer Invest 25 (2007) 733-737.
- Z.T. Hammoud, S. Badve, R. Saxena, K.A. Kesler, K. Rieger, L.H. Malkas, R.J. Hickey, A novel biomarker for the detection of esophageal adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 133 (2007) 82-87.
- L. Mina, S.E. Soule, S. Badve, F.L. Baehner, J. Baker, M. Cronin, D. Watson, M.L. Liu, G.W. Sledge, Jr., S. Shak, K.D. Miller, Predicting response to primary chemotherapy: gene expression profiling of paraffin-embedded core biopsy tissue. Breast Cancer Res Treat 103 (2007) 197-208.
- H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, FOXA1 as a therapeutic target for breast cancer. Expert Opin Ther Targets 11 (2007) 507-514.
- L.E. Norton, I.K. Komenaka, R.E. Emerson, C. Murphy, S. Badve, Benign glandular inclusions a rare cause of a false positive sentinel node. J Surg Oncol 95 (2007) 593-596.
- S.S. Badve, F.L. Baehner, R.P. Gray, B.H. Childs, T. Maddala, M.L. Liu, S.C. Rowley, S. Shak, E.A. Perez, L.J. Shulman, S. Martino, N.E. Davidson, G.W. Sledge, L.J. Goldstein, J.A. Sparano, Estrogen- and progesterone-receptor status in ECOG 2197: comparison of immunohistochemistry by local and central laboratories and quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction by central laboratory. J Clin Oncol 26 (2008) 2473-2481.
- P. Bhat-Nakshatri, G. Wang, H. Appaiah, N. Luktuke, J.S. Carroll, T.R. Geistlinger, M. Brown, S. Badve, Y. Liu, H. Nakshatri, AKT alters genome-wide estrogen receptor alpha binding and impacts estrogen signaling in breast cancer. Mol Cell Biol 28 (2008) 7487-7503.
- L. Cheng, E. Bishop, H. Zhou, G.T. Maclennan, A. Lopez-Beltran, S. Zhang, S. Badve, L.A. Baldridge, R. Montironi, Lymphatic vessel density in radical prostatectomy specimens. Hum Pathol 39 (2008) 610-615.
- T.L. Cibull, A.B. Thomas, S. Badve, S.D. Billings, Sebaceous carcinoma of the nipple. J Cutan Pathol 35 (2008) 608-610.
- T.L. Cibull, A.B. Thomas, S. Badve, S.D. Billings, Leiomyosarcoma of the penis presenting as a cutaneous lesion. J Cutan Pathol 35 (2008) 585-587.
- L.J. Goldstein, R. Gray, S. Badve, B.H. Childs, C. Yoshizawa, S. Rowley, S. Shak, F.L. Baehner, P.M. Ravdin, N.E. Davidson, G.W. Sledge, Jr., E.A. Perez, L.N. Shulman, S. Martino, J.A. Sparano, Prognostic utility of the 21-gene assay in hormone receptor-positive operable breast cancer compared with classical clinicopathologic features. J Clin Oncol 26 (2008) 4063-4071.
- Z. Hammoud, B. Tan, S. Badve, R.M. Bigsby, Estrogen promotes tumor progression in a genetically defined mouse model of lung adenocarcinoma. Endocr Relat Cancer 15 (2008) 475-483.
- W.M. Hanna, E. Hammond, C.R. Taylor, D.J. Dabbs, F. Penault-Llorca, K.J. Bloom, M. Bilous, S. Badve, Re: High concordance between immunohistochemistry and fluorescence in situ hybridization testing for HER2 status in breast cancer requires a normalized IHC scoring system. Mod Pathol 21 (2008) 1278-1280; author reply 1280-1271.
- M. Inada, D. Benten, K. Cheng, B. Joseph, E. Berishvili, S. Badve, L. Logdberg, M. Dabeva, S. Gupta, Stage-specific regulation of adhesion molecule expression segregates epithelial stem/progenitor cells in fetal and adult human livers. Hepatol Int 2 (2008) 50-62.
- N.K. Prasad, M. Tandon, S. Badve, P.W. Snyder, H. Nakshatri, Phosphoinositol phosphatase SHIP2 promotes cancer development and metastasis coupled with alterations in EGF receptor turnover. Carcinogenesis 29 (2008) 25-34.
- B.P. Schneider, M. Wang, M. Radovich, G.W. Sledge, S. Badve, A. Thor, D.A. Flockhart, B. Hancock, N. Davidson, J. Gralow, M. Dickler, E.A. Perez, M. Cobleigh, T. Shenkier, S. Edgerton, K.D. Miller, Association of vascular endothelial growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 genetic polymorphisms with outcome in a trial of paclitaxel compared with paclitaxel plus bevacizumab in advanced breast cancer: ECOG 2100. J Clin Oncol 26 (2008) 4672-4678.
- M.A. Thorat, C. Marchio, A. Morimiya, K. Savage, H. Nakshatri, J.S. Reis-Filho, S. Badve, Forkhead box A1 expression in breast cancer is associated with luminal subtype and good prognosis. J Clin Pathol 61 (2008) 327-332.
- M.A. Thorat, A. Morimiya, S. Mehrotra, R. Konger, S.S. Badve, Prostanoid receptor EP1 expression in breast cancer. Mod Pathol 21 (2008) 15-21.
- M.A. Thorat, D. Turbin, A. Morimiya, S. Leung, Q. Zhang, M.H. Jeng, D.G. Huntsman, H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, Amplified in breast cancer 1 expression in breast cancer. Histopathology 53 (2008) 634-641.
- D.A. Turbin, S. Leung, M.C. Cheang, H.A. Kennecke, K.D. Montgomery, S. McKinney, D.O. Treaba, N. Boyd, L.C. Goldstein, S. Badve, A.M. Gown, M. van de Rijn, T.O. Nielsen, C.B. Gilks, D.G. Huntsman, Automated quantitative analysis of estrogen receptor expression in breast carcinoma does not differ from expert pathologist scoring: a tissue microarray study of 3,484 cases. Breast Cancer Res Treat 110 (2008) 417-426.
- S. Gayathri, S. Badve, D. Matei, Breast mass in a patient with ovarian cancer: a case report. J Reprod Med 54 (2009) 639-644.
- Z.T. Hammoud, S. Badve, Q. Zhao, L. Li, R. Saxena, M.A. Thorat, A. Morimiya, K.M. Rieger, K.A. Kesler, Differential gene expression profiling of esophageal adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 137 (2009) 829-834.
- R.L. Konger, S.D. Billings, N.C. Prall, T.M. Katona, S.C. Dasilva, C.R. Kennedy, S. Badve, S.M. Perkins, P.T. Lacelle, The EP1 subtype of prostaglandin E2 receptor: role in keratinocyte differentiation and expression in non-melanoma skin cancer. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 81 (2009) 279-290.
- J.A. Sparano, L.J. Goldstein, B.H. Childs, S. Shak, D. Brassard, S. Badve, F.L. Baehner, R. Bugarini, S. Rowley, E. Perez, L.N. Shulman, S. Martino, N.E. Davidson, G.W. Sledge, Jr., R. Gray, Relationship between Topoisomerase 2A RNA Expression and Recurrence after Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 15 (2009) 7693-7700.
- M.A. Thorat, S. Mehrotra, A. Morimiya, S. Badve, COX-2 expression does not correlate with microvessel density in breast cancer. Pathobiology : journal of immunopathology, molecular and cellular biology 76 (2009) 39-44.
- S.C. Wentz, M.T. Yip-Schneider, E.A. Gage, R. Saxena, S. Badve, C.M. Schmidt, Sulindac prevents carcinogen-induced intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma formation in vivo. J Surg Res 157 (2009) e87-95.
- F.O. Ademuyiwa, M.A. Thorat, R.K. Jain, H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, Expression of Forkhead-box protein A1, a marker of luminal A type breast cancer, parallels low Oncotype DX 21-gene recurrence scores. Mod Pathol 23 (2010) 270-275.
- H. Appaiah, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, R. Mehta, M. Thorat, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, ITF2 is a target of CXCR4 in MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells and is associated with reduced survival in estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer. Cancer Biol Ther 10 (2010) 600-614.
- S. Badve, N.R. Collins, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, D. Turbin, S. Leung, M. Thorat, S.E. Dunn, T.R. Geistlinger, J.S. Carroll, M. Brown, S. Bose, M.A. Teitell, H. Nakshatri, Subcellular localization of activated AKT in estrogen receptor- and progesterone receptor-expressing breast cancers: potential clinical implications. Am J Pathol 176 (2010) 2139-2149.
- P. Bhat-Nakshatri, H. Appaiah, C. Ballas, P. Pick-Franke, R. Goulet, Jr., S. Badve, E.F. Srour, H. Nakshatri, SLUG/SNAI2 and tumor necrosis factor generate breast cells with CD44+/CD24- phenotype. BMC Cancer 10 (2010) 411.
- F.C. Geyer, M.B. Lambros, R. Natrajan, R. Mehta, A. Mackay, K. Savage, S. Parry, A. Ashworth, S. Badve, J.S. Reis-Filho, Genomic and immunohistochemical analysis of adenosquamous carcinoma of the breast. Mod Pathol 23 (2010) 951-960.
- Y. Gokmen-Polar, R. Mehta, S. Tuzmen, S. Mousses, M.A. Thorat, K.L. Sanders, D. Turbin, S. Leung, D.G. Huntsman, G.W. Sledge, Jr., S. Badve, Differential subcellular expression of protein kinase C betaII in breast cancer: correlation with breast cancer subtypes. Breast Cancer Res Treat 124 (2010) 327-335.
- M. Idrees, R. Saxena, L. Cheng, T.M. Ulbright, S. Badve, Podoplanin, a novel marker for seminoma: A comparison study evaluating immunohistochemical expression of podoplanin and OCT3/4. Ann Diagn Pathol 14 (2010) 331-336.
- R.K. Jain, R. Mehta, S. Badve, Conjunctival squamous cell carcinoma due to ocular prostheses: a case report and review of literature. Pathol Oncol Res 16 (2010) 609-612.
- R.K. Jain, R.J. Mehta, J.D. Henley, K.A. Kesler, P.J. Loehrer, S. Badve, WHO types A and AB thymomas: not always benign. Mod Pathol 23 (2010) 1641-1649.
- K. McCune, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, M.A. Thorat, K.P. Nephew, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, Prognosis of hormone-dependent breast cancers: implications of the presence of dysfunctional transcriptional networks activated by insulin via the immune transcription factor T-bet. Cancer Res 70 (2010) 685-696.
- K. McCune, R. Mehta, M.A. Thorat, S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, Loss of ERalpha and FOXA1 expression in a progression model of luminal type breast cancer: insights from PyMT transgenic mouse model. Oncol Rep 24 (2010) 1233-1239.
- R. Mehta, R.K. Jain, N. Sneige, S. Badve, E. Resetkova, Expression of high-molecular-weight cytokeratin (34betaE12) is an independent predictor of disease-free survival in patients with triple-negative tumours of the breast. J Clin Pathol 63 (2010) 744-747.
- P. Mouser, M.A. Miller, E. Antuofermo, S.S. Badve, S.I. Mohammed, Prevalence and classification of spontaneous mammary intraepithelial lesions in dogs without clinical mammary disease. Vet Pathol 47 (2010) 275-284.
- I.C. Okereke, K.A. Kesler, M.H. Morad, D. Mi, K.M. Rieger, T.J. Birdas, S. Badve, J.D. Henley, M.W. Turrentine, R.P. Nelson, P.J. Loehrer, Prognostic indicators after surgery for thymoma. Ann Thorac Surg 89 (2010) 1071-1077; discussion 1077-1079.
- J.B. Patel, H.N. Appaiah, R.M. Burnett, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, G. Wang, R. Mehta, S. Badve, M.J. Thomson, S. Hammond, P. Steeg, Y. Liu, H. Nakshatri, Control of EVI-1 oncogene expression in metastatic breast cancer cells through microRNA miR-22. Oncogene (2010).
- E. Resetkova, J.S. Reis-Filho, R.K. Jain, R. Mehta, M.A. Thorat, H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, Prognostic impact of ALDH1 in breast cancer: a story of stem cells and tumor microenvironment. Breast Cancer Res Treat 123 (2010) 97-108.
- F.O. Ademuyiwa, A. Miller, T. O'Connor, S.B. Edge, M.A. Thorat, G.W. Sledge, E. Levine, S. Badve, The effects of oncotype DX recurrence scores on chemotherapy utilization in a multi-institutional breast cancer cohort. Breast Cancer Res Treat 126 (2011) 797-802.
- H.N. Appaiah, C.P. Goswami, L.A. Mina, S. Badve, G.W. Sledge, Jr., Y. Liu, H. Nakshatri, Persistent upregulation of U6:SNORD44 small RNA ratio in the serum of breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res : 13 (2011) R86.
- M.M. Dundar, S. Badve, G. Bilgin, V. Raykar, R. Jain, O. Sertel, M.N. Gurcan, Computerized classification of intraductal breast lesions using histopathological images. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 58 (2011) 1977-1984.
- Y. Gokmen-Polar, R.A. Toroni, B.A. Hocevar, S. Badve, Q. Zhao, C. Shen, E. Bruckheimer, M.S. Kinch, K.D. Miller, Dual targeting of EphA2 and ER restores tamoxifen sensitivity in ER/EphA2-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 127 (2011) 375-384.
- L. Goldstein, B.H. Childs, S. Shak, D. Brassard, S. Badve, F.L. Baehner, R. Bugarini, S. Rowley, E.A. Perez, L. Shulman, S. Martino, N.E. Davidson, P.A. Kenny, G.W. Sledge, Jr., R. Gray, J.A. Sparano, Relationship Between Quantitative GRB7 RNA Expression and Recurrence after Adjuvant Anthracycline Chemotherapy in Triple Negative Breast Cancer. Clinical cancer Res (2011).
- M.T. Idrees, T. Kieffer, S. Badve, Pleomorphic hyalinizing angiectatic tumor of renal hilum. Annals of Diagn Pathol (2011).
- R.K. Jain, R. Mehta, R. Dimitrov, L.G. Larsson, P.M. Musto, K.B. Hodges, T.M. Ulbright, E.M. Hattab, N. Agaram, M.T. Idrees, S. Badve, Atypical ductal hyperplasia: interobserver and intraobserver variability. Mod Pathol: 24 (2011) 917-923.
- R.K. Jain, R.J. Mehta, H. Nakshatri, M.T. Idrees, S.S. Badve, High-level expression of forkhead-box protein A1 in metastatic prostate cancer. Histopathology 58 (2011) 766-772.
- E.O. Johnson, K.H. Chang, Y. de Pablo, S. Ghosh, R. Mehta, S. Badve, K. Shah, PHLDA1 is a crucial negative regulator and effector of Aurora A kinase in breast cancer. J Cell Sci 124 (2011) 2711-2722.
- R.J. Mehta, R.K. Jain, S. Leung, J. Choo, T. Nielsen, D. Huntsman, H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, FOXA1 is an independent prognostic marker for ER-positive breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat (2011).
- R. Mitra, J. Lee, J. Jo, M. Milani, J.N. McClintick, H.J. Edenberg, K.A. Kesler, K.M. Rieger, S. Badve, O.W. Cummings, A. Mohiuddin, D.G. Thomas, X. Luo, B.E. Juliar, L. Li, C. Mesaros, I.A. Blair, A. Srirangam, R.A. Kratzke, C.J. McDonald, J. Kim, D.A. Potter, Prediction of postoperative recurrence-free survival in non-small cell lung cancer by using an internationally validated gene expression model. Clinical Cancer Res 17 (2011) 2934-2946.
- J.B. Patel, H.N. Appaiah, R.M. Burnett, P. Bhat-Nakshatri, G. Wang, R. Mehta, S. Badve, M.J. Thomson, S. Hammond, P. Steeg, Y. Liu, H. Nakshatri, Control of EVI-1 oncogene expression in metastatic breast cancer cells through microRNA miR-22. Oncogene 30 (2011) 1290-1301.
- G. Rajashekhar, M. Kamocka, A. Marin, M.A. Suckow, W.R. Wolter, S. Badve, A.R. Sanjeevaiah, K. Pumiglia, E. Rosen, M. Clauss, Pro-inflammatory angiogenesis is mediated by p38 MAP kinase. J Cellular Physiol 226 (2011) 800-808.
- J.A. Sparano, L.J. Goldstein, B.H. Childs, S. Shak, D. Brassard, S. Badve, F.L. Baehner, R. Bugarini, S. Rowley, E.A. Perez, L.N. Shulman, S. Martino, N.E. Davidson, P.A. Kenny, G.W. Sledge, Jr., R. Gray, Relationship between quantitative GRB7 RNA expression and recurrence after adjuvant anthracycline chemotherapy in triple-negative breast cancer. Clinical Cancer Res 17 (2011) 7194-7203.
- T. Vladislav, R.K. Jain, R. Alvarez, R.J. Mehta, Y. Gokmen-Polar, K.A. Kesler, J.D. Henley, P.J. Loehrer Sr, S. Badve, Extrathoracic metastases of thymic origin: a review of 35 cases. Mod Pathol (2011).
- M.R. Khawaja, R.P. Nelson, Jr., N. Miller, S.S. Badve, E. Loehrer, M. Czader, S.M. Perkins, K. Kesler, P.J. Loehrer, Sr., Immune-Mediated Diseases and Immunodeficiencies Associated with Thymic Epithelial Neoplasms. J Clin Immunol (2012).
- M.E. Hammond, D.F. Hayes, M. Dowsett, D.C. Allred, K.L. Hagerty, S. Badve, P.L. Fitzgibbons, G. Francis, N.S. Goldstein, M. Hayes, D.G. Hicks, S. Lester, R. Love, P.B. Mangu, L. McShane, K. Miller, C.K. Osborne, S. Paik, J. Perlmutter, A. Rhodes, H. Sasano, J.N. Schwartz, F.C. Sweep, S. Taube, E.E. Torlakovic, P. Valenstein, G. Viale, D. Visscher, T. Wheeler, R.B. Williams, J.L. Wittliff, A.C. Wolff, American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists guideline recommendations for immunohistochemical testing of estrogen and progesterone receptors in breast cancer. Arch Pathol & Lab Medicine 134 (2010) 907-922.
- E.A. Rakha, J.S. Reis-Filho, F. Baehner, D.J. Dabbs, T. Decker, V. Eusebi, S.B. Fox, S. Ichihara, J. Jacquemier, S.R. Lakhani, J. Palacios, A.L. Richardson, S.J. Schnitt, F.C. Schmitt, P.H. Tan, G.M. Tse, S. Badve, I.O. Ellis, Breast cancer prognostic classification in the molecular era: the role of histological grade. Breast Cancer Res 12 (2010) 207.
- S. Badve, D.J. Dabbs, S.J. Schnitt, F.L. Baehner, T. Decker, V. Eusebi, S.B. Fox, S. Ichihara, J. Jacquemier, S.R. Lakhani, J. Palacios, E.A. Rakha, A.L. Richardson, F.C. Schmitt, P.H. Tan, G.M. Tse, B. Weigelt, I.O. Ellis, J.S. Reis-Filho, Basal-like and triple-negative breast cancers: a critical review with an emphasis on the implications for pathologists and oncologists. Mod Pathol (2010).
- D.L. Rimm, T.O. Nielsen, S.D. Jewell, D.C. Rohrer, G. Broadwater, F. Waldman, K.A. Mitchell, B. Singh, G.J. Tsongalis, W.L. Frankel, A.M. Magliocco, J.F. Lara, E.D. Hsi, I.J. Bleiweiss, S.S. Badve, B. Chen, P.M. Ravdin, R.L. Schilsky, A. Thor, D.A. Berry, Cancer and Leukemia Group B Pathology Committee guidelines for tissue microarray construction representing multicenter prospective clinical trial tissues. J Clin Oncol 29 (2011) 2282-2290.
- O. Pagani, A. Partridge, L. Korde, S. Badve, J. Bartlett, K. Albain, R. Gelber, A. Goldhirsch, Pregnancy after breast cancer: if you wish, ma'am. Breast Cancer Res Treat 129 (2011) 309-317.
- S. Khan, S. Badve. Phyllodes tumor of the breast. Review Current Treatment Options in Oncology. 2001; 2(2): 139-147.
- S. Badve Commentary – Macrophage inhibitory factor-1? in neoplastic bone resorption. Laboratory Investigation – 2004.
- S. Badve, The diagnosis and management of pre-invasive breast disease: another point of view. Breast Cancer Res 6 (2004) E3; discussion E4.
- S. Badve, Ductal lavage and its histopathologic basis: a cautionary tale. Diagn Cytopathol 30 (2004) 166-171.
- S. Badve. Histological changes in breast tissue with menstrual cycle. Mammology. 2006; 2(2), 11-15.
- H. Nakshatri, S. Badve. FOXA1 as a therapeutic target for breast cancer. Expert Opinions in Therapeutic Targets. 2007 Apr;11(4):507-14.
- M. Thorat, S. Badve. Prognostic factors in breast cancer. Current Diagnostic Pathology. 2007 Apr; 13(2):116-125.
- H. Yaziji, C.R. Taylor, N.S. Goldstein, D.J. Dabbs, E.H. Hammond, B. Hewlett, A.D. Floyd, T.S. Barry, A.W. Martin, S. Badve, F. Baehner, R.W. Cartun, R.N. Eisen, P.E. Swanson, S.M. Hewitt, M. Vyberg, D.G. Hicks, Consensus recommendations on estrogen receptor testing in breast cancer by immunohistochemistry. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 16 (2008) 513-520.
- S. Badve, Equivalency of RT-PCR and immunohistochemistry: fact or factoid. Breast Cancer Res Treat 116 (2009) 145-147.
- S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, Oestrogen-receptor-positive breast cancer: towards bridging histopathological and molecular classifications. J Clin Pathol 62 (2009) 6-12.
- H. Nakshatri, E.F. Srour, S. Badve, Breast cancer stem cells and intrinsic subtypes: controversies rage on. Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 4 (2009) 50-60
- H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, FOXA1 in breast cancer. Expert Rev Mol Med 11 (2009) e8.
- S. Badve, Does tumor size trump biology? Clin Breast Cancer 10 (2010) 111-112.
- R. Mehta, R.K. Jain, S. Badve, Personalized medicine: the road ahead. Clinical breast cancer 11 (2011) 20-26.
- Y. Gokmen-Polar, S. Badve. Promise of computational systems biology for cancer clinical trials: the voyage to be realized? Personalized Medicine (2010) 7(2), 129–131.
- Y. Gokmen-Polar, S. Badve, Tumor marker assessment: points to ponder. Cancer biology & therapy 11 (2011) 284-286.
- Y. Gokmen-Polar, H. Nakshatri, S. Badve, Biomarkers for breast cancer stem cells: the challenges ahead. Biomark Med 5 (2011) 661-671.
- S. Badve, H. Nakshatri, Breast-cancer stem cells-beyond semantics. Lancet Oncol 13 (2012) e43-48.
Non-peer reviewed publications:
- Steroid receptors. Chapter 24- The Breast: comprehensive management of benign and malignant disorders. 3rd Edition, Editors -KI Bland and EM Copeland. Elsevier Press 2004.
- Male breast cancer. Chapter 25 – Foundations in Pathology Series–Book Editors: F O’Malley and S Pinder. Elsevier Press - 2006.
- Other Malignant disease of the breast. Chapter 26 – Foundations in Pathology Series– Book Editors: F O’Malley and S Pinder. Elsevier Press.
- Predictive and Prognostic factors in breast cancer - in Dabbs TextBook of Breast Pathology. Elsevier Press. In Press
- Pathology of Sentinel Node - in Dabbs TextBook of Breast Pathology. Elsevier Press. In Press.
- Paget’s Disease - Dabbs TextBook of Breast Pathology. Elsevier Press. In Press.
- WHO Blue Book – Gynecomastia
- WHO Blue Book – Male Breast cancer
- WHO Blue Book – Pseudoangiomatous stromal hyperplasia
- WHO Blue Book – Neuroendocrine tumors of the breast
- WHO Blue Book -Solid Papillary carcinoma
- Thymoma and Thymic Carcinoma. In Textbook of Uncommon Cancers. 4th Edition. Editors: D Raghavan, M. Brecher, D. Johnson, N. Meropol, P. Moots
- Dako IHC book - TMA chapter
- Dako Connections multiple articles